7.28.2011

The GGA Project -- Day #229 "Salsa in the Daytime"

I was just starting to get on a roll again at the gym before I set out on vacay.  I knew better than to pretend I'd be doing any working out on the trip, so it was high on my list of priorities to get there today.


But I wanted a change of pace.


Today's New Activity: Zumba!


Now, I did take another Zumba class once upon a time, but that was at a different gym, with a different instructor.  Since the class is all about the songs the instructor chooses (usually Latin rhythms) and the steps he or she makes up to go with them, there as many options for what type of experience it could be as there are instructors out there.


When today's instructor walked in I thought for sure she'd wandered into the wrong room.  She was a tiny woman who looked like she'd been through something.  Like 30 years' worth of something, which may have involved illicit drugs but certainly involved heavy smoking and maybe even a transient stint.


But man this woman had energy!  She was quite a little fireball, and she kicked all of our asses.  In a good way.  It's been a long time since I've taken an aerobics-type class at the gym, and it felt really good to be out there doing something that felt like dancing.


The class was a little crowded for my taste, but the number of people just ensured that those of all skill and coordination levels were represented, thereby making it easier to blend it and blow it off whenever I lost step. Which was quite a bit this first time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment