5.17.2011

The GGA Project -- Day #157 "I Could Get Used to This"

This morning I had a meeting with a contact whom a friend put me in touch with...it was a preliminary meeting about a project I want to work on.  I met this contact at his place of work, and upon my arrival the receptionist ushered me into a conference room that was like something out of a movie.  It was a large space with something of a view (we were on the 5th floor of an office building) and it had big cushy chairs and sleek-looking video conferencing equipment.  I arrived early, so I had about 10 minutes to myself in this room during which to think.


Today's New Activity: Conference Room Daydream


As I sat waiting for my meeting to start, I looked around the conference room and thought that I would like to spend more time in places like it.  Okay, I know a lot of people would read that and think I'm a lunatic.  People bring their laptops, their snacks and their coffee, their Blackberries and iPhones and whatever else they can sneak into conference rooms just to entertain and keep themselves from falling asleep during meetings.  I'm sure plenty of people would be overjoyed if they never spent another minute of their lives in a conference room.


But for me this conference room was more than just a conference room.  It represented something more, the act of dreaming of something more.  What appealed to me was the idea of sitting in a room filled with intelligent people, of brainstorming with them, and of finding challenge in my work.  It represented the idea of growth in an area of my life where I've never really pushed myself to grow.  It represented the thought of washing my hands of the retail and service industries and believing in my potential.


I must sound like Little Miss Broken Record, always ruminating on work as a concept, but it's heavy on my mind, what can I say?  Today I had the feeling that I could get used to having a place at a table like the one at which I was seated.  And for however long that would serve to help me grow in my life, I'd like to think I'd enjoy and make the most it.



No comments:

Post a Comment