12.31.2010

The GGA Project -- Day #20 "To New Years"

(Timestamp is wrong...this was written a good deal after midnight)


I had all sorts of awesome plans (mostly in my own mind) to go out, go dancing last night.  I have been feeling the growing desire to revisit a feeling I only get when I just basically dance until I lose it.  You know, in a good way.  Unfortunately I made those plans with a friend who has been working 6 days a week for like a year and half now, and what she wanted to do most of all was to relax.  Understandable.


But what to do then?


I was invited to join in the festivities at the home of my friend Kenneth's girlfriend, Jessica (my friend also, now that I've finally had the chance to meet her a few times :)  What a beautiful home!  What a warm, open family!  It wasn't the kind of party I was expecting to attend tonight (it was actually at her parents' home, so the scene I first walked in on was a room bumping with about 35 parents (like parents *my* parents' age) and some young kids).  All the folks I knew were kicking it around an outdoor fireplace, but I didn't know that yet.


Today's New Activity: *New* New Years Venue


In 5 out of the past 6 years, I've celebrated the new year at the same bar/pub place, which was a place I wasn't even all that fond of...but it was comfortable and familiar.  I was excited to have the chance, this year (and having already secured babysitting with the folks--yay!), to make the decision of where new years would be spent all on my own.  But I have to admit I wasn't all that excited at first about the prospect of a house party.  Like I said, I wanted to be out dancing.


Buuuut, it ended up being a *better* party than I expected to be at tonight, partially on account of that grown-up/slightly less grown-up mix of people...of ill-advised things the younger folks might be known to do:




(Haha.  They FOUND it.  I don't know how, but they found it (Little "Back to the Future" reference there, for all you children of the 80's).  I did not participate in the four loko madness (and thankfully nobody got crazy on that), except to try a coduple of sips, and I have to say it is the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted that was actually sold that way.  Ewww.  It should have been banned on those grounds alone, nevermind the danger it apparently posed to over-indulgent teens.)


And of the nice traditions of a family...we released together--about 100 people in attendance or so--what seemed like hundreds of balloons to commemorate the New Year.


Plus, I got to ring in the new year with some people I've considered myself very lucky to have become reacquainted with in recent months.


And hey, THIS was new to me:  I can't seem to get my video to load, but there was firedancing (not sure that's the right term) going on at one point (thanks for the show Brenna, Peter, and Jeanette!).


All the way around it was a very nice night.  And I'm not one for New Years resolutions, but this time around I really am looking forward to making this year better than the last was.  For certain, and as much as I have control over this, it will be less stressful, more adventurous and outgoing, and is sure to include more dancing than 2010.


New year. New outlook.  And, as ever, life is good.


Also, jeeze, I just love this song/scene:





No comments:

Post a Comment