12.25.2010

The GGA Project -- Day #14 "Daydreamweaver"

There are many different ways to classify people.  Think of how many movies there are in which one character says, "Look, way I see it, there are two types of people in this world:  People who ___________ and people who ____________."  Some two-bit philosophy of life usually follows which manages to explain the bulk of what is happening/has happened/will happen in the movie.  That's kind of silly.


But here's my two-bit philosophy anyway.  The way I see it, there are two types of people in this world: people who daydream, and people who don't.  I was quite surprised to discover that there are people who don't.  They are totally able to live in the absolute present and do not spend time imagining anything other than what is, now.  I think that's a pretty cool way to be.  It is something to aim for: contentment with this very moment, every moment.


But I myself am a daydreamer.  Sometimes a pretty elaborate one.  I don't usually spend time thinking about things I wish would happen (winning the lottery, stuff like that).  I tend to think about things that could very easily happen, things that I could easily *do* without divine intervention or incredible strokes of luck.  Sometimes, the daydreaming is just a precursor to actually doing whatever it is I'm thinking about....a kind of practice round.


And yet, in all my years of semi-checked out visualization, I'd never thought to make an exercise of it in the way that was suggested to me by my dear friend Jesse (in response to my request for new activity participants/ideas).


Today's New Activity: 15 Minutes to Dream


Jesse said the idea was to daydream about whatever you like (but try to keep it positive) for at least 15 minutes.  I like this idea because it is so conscious.  For me, daydreaming typically takes place in stolen moments, or moments of boredom while I'm supposed to be focused on something else.  But I love the idea of GIVING oneself that space and time with which to fantasize.


It's harder than it sounds, though.  My first attempt earlier this afternoon was thwarted by the sounds of family in the kitchen and Christmas music on the radio.  The weird thing about that is that I can daydream all the time with noise around me.  Apparently it's different when *all* I'm supposed to be doing is that daydreaming.  Too much pressure or something.


So I made a second attempt just now, as the house has quieted down significantly.  I was able to stay in the same vein of thought for the most part, but it was not easy.  Also, I started falling asleep.


But I love this practice and am going to devote more time to it.  A lot of performers and athletes use visualization (which is really just a more sophisticated sounding word for daydreaming) as part of their preparation and study of their art/sport.  But I think it's a great idea for the everyman as well.


And it requires no special place or weather or tools.  And it's free!  Can't really beat that.  I think you should give it a try :)


Thanks for the cool idea, Jesse.






Other Notable First for Today:





Watching "Mamma Mia," a movie I'd avoided until now on account of its cheesiness, but which I enjoyed thoroughly on account of its cheesiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment