11.27.2011

The GGA Project -- Day #351 "You Exit Halfway Across the Bridge..."

I'm not sure where I first heard about it a few months back, but


Today's New Activity: Treasure Hunting at Treasure Island Flea


has been on my to-do list for about 3 months now.


Here's the problem, Treasure Island Flea only happens once per month.  So having my schedule clear to attend any of the summer markets proved an impossibility.  And I'd actually been under the impression that it was just a summer thing that would be over by September, so I was pleasantly surprised to not only discover that it'd be around for the foreseeable future, but that there were free admission tickets floating around.  So then...


First of all, if you've never been to Treasure Island (and provided you live in the area), you should really check it out.  It's much bigger than it seems from the Bay Bridge you take to travel through it, and the views of The City from there are just beautiful.


The first thing I noticed approaching the flea market was a huge statue of sorts that had apparently been taken from a Burning Man a couple of years back.  Bliss Dance, as it's called, is 40 feet and 7,000 steel pounds of pure beauty, which--in the words of the artist, Marco Cochrane's words--"celebrates humanity, and in particular the feminine beauty, power and strength that emerges when women are safe, and free to be themselves."  I LOVE that.  This piece was quite the draw, dozens of people swarming around and taking photos from every angle, just as I was.  But anyway, that wasn't part of the flea market, just an unexpected icing on the cake.









I'm not sure who took in this scene and thought 'a flea market needs to happen here!!!,' but I'm glad for it.  It was a great environment, and great weather, in which to treasure hunt!



I didn't take many pictures of the offerings at all, just because I didn't think about it when viewing the most captivating things for sale, but there was a good variety.  There were antiques,



and whimsical who-knows-whats,



and world market-type goods,


and plants


and even, apparently, tarot card readings


There were artists selling prints and textiles and jewelry, and a lot of venders selling vintage clothing.  What was great about the clothing and antique vendors is that they didn't just bring a whole lot of junk.  It was like somebody had done all the dirty work of picking through the Goodwills and Savers of the world and brought along only the best stuff.  And what was really great was that the prices were very reasonable: more like a garage sale than an antique store or vintage consignment shop.


There was a great reggae band called Counter Culture (and I'm pretty picky about reggae, so when I say great, I really mean it.  If you follow that link, check out their song "Peace." I loved it!) there for entertainment. 



I had to drag Kalil away from that scene.  He listened for quite some time before standing up and dancing around like crazy for a few songs.  I love to watch him feeling all different kinds of music :)




I did a bit of Santa Claus-related work.  And then I picked up a cute little wall-hanging cabinet with hooks that I have big (new project, once this current project ends) plans for.  Seven bucks!  Not bad at all.


So the Treasure Island Flea is taking a break for December but will be back in January and indoors (still on Treasure Island obviously, but building to-be-determined) for a few months.  I can't wait to go back.  And I'm dragging all my treasure hunt-lovin' friends with me next time!!




1 comment:

  1. Sounds soooooooooooo cool! And I am so thrilled that your boy is getting doused in music. As if he couldn't, with you as his mama!

    ReplyDelete