4.24.2011

The GGA Project -- Day #134 "The Hunt'"

Easter time last year was a little rough.  There was a lot of tension in the house, this being just two months before my separation, and I don't remember being able to enjoy the secular fun that could otherwise be eeked out of the holiday.  My parents hid a few eggs and gave a basket to the baby, but I didn't do anything for him.  I rationalized that he was too young to understand and enjoy (and in a way he was....he wasn't even walking yet, showed little reaction to any toy, and every egg had to be shown and handed to him), but really I just was no longer comfortable celebrating holidays together with both my parents and my ex.  I'm pretty sure this sentiment was also echoed by everyone else in the house.  It's hard to explain this dynamic, but that's where I was at this time last year.


This year was totally different.  Though I'm not religious and don't celebrate Easter in the Christian sense, I appreciate it for all its secular traditions in the same way I do Christmas.


This year I perused the seasonal aisles at Target at least three times and was super excited to pick out the toys for Monkey's basket that I thought he'd like.


Today's New Activity: Playing Easter Bunny


I don't think it can be overstated: the extent to which a person's outlook on a holiday changes when she becomes a parent.  Though it's always felt good to give gifts, no gift given in my past has compared to the feeling of joy associated with preparing to give gifts to my son.  Last Friday night I got his basket all filled up and wrapped in cellophane, and I found myself smiling this super-cheesed smile the entire time, just anticipating his reactions.




Here are *both* of his baskets, one from Mama Bunny and one from Nana & Poppy (which was actually filled with stuff for both him and me--I love that my parents still give me little gifts for these occasion...it's so sweet and just shows that you really never stop being parents and enjoying these moments as such).  Lucky both of us!


After he'd opened the easy stuff, he went on a little hunt for eggs in the living room, some of which were filled with sweet treats, some with Hot Wheels.




Found one!


And he was such a little boy with the cars!  I just can't believe how big he's getting, and how much he is like a boy and not a baby any more.  He was zooming those cars all around and making the zooming sound effects too.  As much as it's hard to watch him outgrow all the baby stuff, I'm ridiculously proud of his development and the thoughtful little boy he's becoming.


After the fun at our house, we joined Kelsi and family for an outdoor egg hunt at their house, where Monkey found a bunch of eggs and ate every single cracker or cookie in each as he went, as if he hadn't eaten in weeks.






I'm very happy about his robust appetite lately as I think we're through the teething/not eating phase completely.  I also think it means he's going through another growth spurt.  Watch out!


And finally, when all the hunting and nomming was through, he had his first crack at t-ball.




Seriously!  Where did my baby go?!?!


Don't worry about me.  I'll get over it ;)


I'm so pleased to have had this beautiful day to celebrate with friends and family, and to watch my son smile and squeal with joy.  That was the real Easter blessing, in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment