2.01.2011

The GGA Project -- Day #52 "Peacock Squared"

Denise, a former coworker of mine, has been going to the same divey bar's karaoke night for like 3 years now.  For years she's been trying to gently coax other friends and coworkers to come along, to only moderate avail.  Who knew all she had to do was make a Facebook event of it and give it a World of Warcraft theme to bring them out in throngs.  The funny thing is, very few of the people who came actually play WoW, but the event-like new status of what is a standard weekly practice seemed to work wonders.


Today's New Activity: Tuesday Night Karaoke at the Peacock Lounge


What made this karaoke a WoW karaoke was that Denise had preselected songs to serve as "quests," just basically daring people to sing whatever they randomly drew from the stack (prizes awarded when quest completed and everything!).  She was flexible though, because first I picked "Summer Nights" from Grease, a song I can't stand, so she let me pick again.  Second pick was "Time Warp" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I just don't know well enough to sing.  Third time was a charm: Loggins and Messina's "Danny's Song."  You might think you don't know this song, since the title isn't very telling, but I promise you, you do:




I'd met David, a new friend-through-friends beforehand for dinner.  Because it was nearby and we were both down for Indian (yum!), we decided on the Peacock Cafe, just to keep consistent with the flashy bird theme of the evening.  The Channa Masala (garbanzo beans in spicy sauce) with naan was very, very good--check the place out if you're in the area!


What I liked about tonight's activity is just the chance to have a fun outlet on a weekday.  People really treasure and often make the most of their weekends, but it is so nice to have an outing in the thick of the weekday rigor-moral, just to break things up and remind you that there is more to life than work and getting ready for work and vegging out after work.  Five days of that can really wear a person down.  And of course, we don't all work 9-5 jobs.  In fact, most of the people I know don't.  But still I think there is a Monday-Friday mentality that is difficult to shake no matter what you do for a living, and when.


I think I'm going to embark on a mid-week outing advocacy campaign.  Oooh, I *like* that idea.  Hump day would be ideal.  Maybe I'll just reserve Wednesday nights for the duration of this project for checking out a new venue--a new fun thing happening somewhere in the area.  Who's down?  Maybe by December I'll have found something worth making a habit of.


Happy rest of the week to you!

1 comment:

  1. I can picture you having a great deal of success singing "Danny's Song," which is absolutely sweet and sooooo appropriate! How'd it go? Loved the play on words on "rigmarole"! Creative plus!

    ReplyDelete